Stata for Unix
Stata for Unix includes
- Stata for Unix software
(list of supported platforms)
- PDF documentation, which includes
access to all the manuals in the printed documentation.
- You may also purchase the printed Documentation Set, which includes
- Getting Started with Stata (for all 3 platforms)
- User's Guide
- Base Reference Manual (4 volumes)
- Data-Management Reference Manual
- Graphics Reference Manual
- Longitudinal-Data/Panel-Data Reference Manual
- Mata Reference Manual (2 volumes)
- Multiple-Imputation Reference Manual
- Multivariate Statistics Reference Manual
- Programming Reference Manual
- Structural Equation Modeling Reference Manual
- Survey Data Reference Manual
- Survival Analysis and Epidemiological Tables Reference Manual
- Time-Series Reference Manual
- Quick Reference and Index
Stata for Unix comes in four flavors:
- Small Stata
For details, see Which Stata is right
Frequently Asked Questions
- Which Stata is right for me?
- Will Stata run on my computer?
Click here and find out.
- Is there a version of Stata for Linux?
Yes. Tested and supported operating systems include Red Hat Enterprise
Linux (RHEL), Ubuntu, Fedora, and others. If in doubt,
contact us with the name of your
Linux distribution and release number to verify.
- I've heard that Stata for Unix requires X Windows. Is that true?
Almost. If you want to be able to see the graphs you draw, you must have
X Windows; otherwise, Stata will run fine without it. Graphs can be
exported to PostScript with or without X Windows.
- Can I trade datasets with my friends who use Stata for Windows?
Yes. A Stata dataset created on Unix can be used, without
translation, on any computer running Stata and vice versa. Yes, we
understand the issues with byte order and how, in ASCII files, lines are
terminated. We repeat: Any Stata dataset created on any computer can be
used on any other computer without translation. The
same goes for graphs, programs, and any other file Stata uses or
- Can my copy of Stata run on both my Unix desktop and Windows laptop?
Yes. Stata licenses are not platform specific so you can use your license
to install Stata on any of the supported platforms.
- Does a guarantee come with Stata?
A 30-day, satisfaction or your money back, guarantee comes with your
Overview: Why use Stata?
New in Stata 12